Skip to main content

Local NHS services

A pharmacist looking at a box of tablets

You don't always need to see your GP. It may be best you see another health professional who is better suited to deal with your issue.

Our goal is to help you stay in your own home and in your community for as long as possible because we know this is not only better for your physical health, particularly if you are elderly, but also your mental wellbeing.

Where is the best place to receive the right treatment and support?

For out-of-hours care and support, you can use the NHS 111 Wales online symptom checker. Follow this link to the NHS 111 Wales website to check your symptoms.


Community pharmacies can provide prescription-only medication for a number of minor ailments without the need to see a doctor first. You can also get advice or over-the-counter treatments for a wide number of everyday conditions - and you won't have to pay for them.

It's called the Common Ailments Scheme. You must register with the pharmacy to use the scheme, but the process only takes a few minutes.

Community pharmacies can also a see and treat service for patients over the age of six with sore throats. They offer a while-you-wait swab test to determine if the sore throat is caused by a bacterial infection. If it is, you can be offered antibiotics directly by the pharmacist, without needing to get a prescription from a GP.

They can also provide access to NHS contraceptive services, including emergency contraception, bridging contraception and sexual health advice.

The Emergency Medicine Supply Service provides the supply of urgently required repeat medication.

Follow this link to find more information about the services and support available at community pharmacies on the health board website.


A man in a dentist

If you have a regular dentist and are experiencing dental pain, you should contact your dental practice for advice on how to manage your problems and where appropriate you should be provided with an urgent appointment. 

If you do not have a regular dentist or have an urgent dental problem outside normal working hours, please call 111 for advice and help in finding an urgent dental appointment if required.

It is important that people continue to contact their regular dentist if they have problems such as a swelling, pain that is not relieved with simple pain relief within 24-48 hours or if they have ulcers which have not healed within seven days.

No-one should be suffering from toothache, a dental infection or problems from their mouth - your regular dentist is able to provide care and advice quickly and emergency dentists are available.

If you receive urgent dental treatment, the charge will be £14.70 unless you are exempt from paying NHS charges. If you do not have to pay for treatment, you will be asked to provide evidence of this when you attend the practice.

Toothache on its own (for example, toothache with no other accompanying symptoms or signs) is not a dental emergency. Patients with toothache should not attend an Accident and Emergency Department.

Dental emergencies requiring care from an Emergency Department include:

  • Traumatic injuries to the face or mouth such as complete displacement of a tooth from its socket 
  • Oro-facial swelling that is significant and worsening
  • Post-extraction bleeding that the patient is not able to control with local measures
  • Dental infections associated with acute systemic illness, raised temperature or severe trismus (restricted mouth opening)
  • Oro-dental conditions that are likely to exacerbate systemic medical conditions such as diabetes

Urgent dental problems are those that cannot wait for routine dental care. These include:

  • Dental and soft tissue infections or swelling of the face or mouth which is not spreading across the neck or towards the eye and where you do not feel unwell
  • Mouth ulcers, lumps or sores which have been present for more than two weeks
  • Bleeding following dental treatment which cannot be controlled at home
  • A broken adult tooth which causes severe pain that is not made better by painkillers
  • Severe uncontrollable dental and facial pain - constant toothache or pain from the mouth that is not made better by painkillers

Non-urgent dental conditions include:

  • Pain that responds to pain-relief measures
  • Minor dental trauma
  • Post-extraction bleeding that the patient is able to control using self-care measures
  • Loose or displaced crowns; bridges or veneers; fractured or loose fitting dentures and other appliances
  • Fractured posts supporting crowns
  • Fractured, loose or displaced fillings 
  • Treatments normally associated with routine dental care
  • Bleeding gums

Follow this link to find more information on managing dental problems on the health board website.


Laura looking at a scan on the computer

Did you know that your local opticians can offer you far more than vision checks, glasses and contact lenses?

If you have an eye problem that needs urgent attention, please contact your local optician, as they have the expertise and specialist equipment to help you. Most opticians have optometrists who are part of the Eye Health Examination Wales Service.

If you have a problem with your eyes like red eye, flashing lights or floaters, you can go there instead of your GP, and it won't cost you anything. Optometrists in Wales also offer a Low Vision Service, so you don't have to go to a hospital to be assessed.

Follow this link to the Eyecare Wales website for more information.

Mental health crisis

Need help fast?

There are a number of FREE helplines and websites:

Call 111 choose option 2

24/7 mental health support is now available over the phone in Swansea Bay. People living in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot who need urgent support with mental health issues can now call a team of mental health professionals for free, day or night.

Calling 111 and choosing option 2 puts callers in direct contact with a team of 20 mental health professionals based at Neath Port Talbot Hospital.

The service is available for anyone in Swansea and Neath Port Talbot with a mental health concern, including relatives who need advice.

Call 111 Option 2 is running 24 hours a day, seven days a week, offering a triage service and support or signposting as appropriate.

Callers will be supported by fully trained clinicians working as part of a multi-disciplinary team including mental health nurses, psychological wellbeing practitioners and occupational therapists.

Minor Injury Unit - Neath Port Talbot

Exterior image of Minor Injury Unit - Neath Port Talbot Hospital

The Minor Injury Unit is for minor injuries to the body only. It cannot deal with patients with any illnesses, suspected heart attacks, chest pains, strokes etc.  If you have a serious illness or injury ring 999

Due to staffing pressures the MIU opening hours have temporarily changed to 8am-9pm, seven days a week, at Neath Port Talbot Hospital, Baglan Way, Port Talbot, SA12 7BX. Contact number: 01639 862160.

Adults and children over the age of one who have had an accident within the last couple of weeks can be seen at the Neath Port Talbot Hospital Minor Injury Unit. An experienced team of specially-trained emergency nurse practitioners, triage nurses and health care support workers treat patients for minor conditions including:

  • cuts and minor burns
  • sprains and strains
  • broken bones
  • dislocation of the shoulder, fingers and toes
  • head and facial injuries with no loss of consciousness and the patient is not taking anticoagulant (blood thinner) medication.
  • neck injuries, where you are mobile with no pins and needles in your arms
  • back injuries where you are mobile and the pain has not occurred from you twisting your back or lifting something
  • foreign bodies in the eyes, ears and nose
  • non-penetrating eye and ear injuries
  • rib injuries where you are not coughing up blood and you don’t have a chest infection
  • bites (insect, animal or human)
  • insect stings
  • assaults.

However the team CANNOT TREAT:

  • chest pain
  • stroke
  • colds, coughs, sore throats, earache, rashes, temperatures
  • urinary infections, cystitis or catheter problems
  • dental problems
  • accident with injury to abdomen/stomach
  • breathing problems
  • painful limbs, joints or backs
  • skin complaints including boils and rashes
  • wounds that have not been caused during an accident.

You can make a self-referral for outpatient physiotherapy services on our health board website.

Follow this link to the Physiotherapy page on the health board website for more information on available support.


You can contact the Podiatry department on 0300 300 0024 or via email

If you need advice for any foot-related problem and you are not currently a patient with the department, you can access information online.

Follow this link to the Podiatry page on the health board website to find contact details and information about the service.

Community Healthy Bladder and Bowel Service

Swansea Bay's Community Healthy Bladder and Bowel Service has a dedicated webpage where you can access information and various resources.

Follow this link to the Community Healthy Bladder and Bowel Service page on the health board website.

Sexual Health Services

All access to sexual health clinics is now appointment only. Tel: 0300 5550279 - Please note, the line will be closed 12.30 - 13.00 each day for lunch, and all day on bank holidays.

Follow this link to the Sexual Health Services page on the health board website to find more information about accessing services.

Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth a galwadau ffôn yn y Gymraeg neu'r Saesneg. Atebir gohebiaeth Gymraeg yn y Gymraeg, ac ni fydd hyn yn arwain at oedi. Mae’r dudalen hon ar gael yn Gymraeg drwy bwyso’r botwm ar y dde ar frig y dudalen.

We welcome correspondence and telephone calls in Welsh or English. Welsh language correspondence will be replied to in Welsh, and this will not lead to a delay. This page is available in Welsh by clicking ‘Cymraeg’ at the top right of this page.