Singleton Hospital worker attacked in motorbike-jacking

A Singleton Hospital worker was knocked off his motorbike and attacked by a man who threatened to stab him before making off with the bike.

The worker has described how he did an emergency stop, thinking he had hit the man who had leapt out into the road in front of him.

But seconds later he was himself pushed over onto the road, with the attacker punching his leg and yelling, “I’ll stab you, I’ll stab you.”

His assailant hoisted the bike over the central reservation where an accomplice was waiting for him with a car. He put his arm through the car window and the car towed him and the bike away.

Although police later recovered the bike, they are appealing for witnesses to the incident near Amazon on Fabian Way on Wednesday evening (10th July).

The hospital worker, who does not want to be named, left Singleton at around 6.30pm after finishing his shift and was heading east on Fabian Way.

“I was near Amazon at around 7pm. There was a pedestrian crossing and the light was green but this man just ran out in front of me.

“I did an emergency stop swerved and pulled over, thinking I had hit him.

“The next thing I knew, he pushed me off the bike. I didn’t know what was happening, I thought I had hit him and he was angry.

“Then he started hitting me on the leg. He was shouting, 'I’ll stab you, I’ll stab you, get off, get off’.

“He had something in his hand. It could have been a knife. I couldn’t see what it was but I wasn’t going to take any chances.”

The staff member managed to grab the bike keys and ran off. His attacker briefly chased and threatened him before giving up.

Then he pushed the bike across the central reservation where an accomplice was waiting in a silver car. The thief put his arm through the car window and was towed away.

Police later recovered the bike, a KTM Duke, around a mile away. It had sustained minor damage and has been sent for forensic examination.

Despite his ordeal, the bike’s owner was back at work in Singleton Hospital the next day.

“I was wearing full motorbike gear and body armour, and I wasn’t physically injured,” he said. “I was shaken though. It’s not what you expect – going home quietly and something like this happens.

“It all happened so quickly too, around three minutes from start to finish. It was just surreal.”

Any witnesses to this incident who have not already spoken to police, or anyone with any information which will assist officers in this investigation, should contact the police on 101 and quote reference 1900250939.

Share this page
Find us on