Important information about Coronavirus (COVID-19):
The Minor Injury Unit cannot deal with patients with symptoms of Coronavirus, or any other illness.
For information on Coronavirus, please go to our dedicated website section.
If you do need to attend the MIU, please attend alone for your safety and the safety of others. If the patient is a child or vulnerable, please ensure only one person accompanies them. Thank you.
Please note that if you live in Swansea you CAN still use the MIU even though there are local lockdown restrictions in place. This is because you are accessing healthcare, so are not breaking any rules.
Information about the Minor Injury Unit
Adults and children over the age of one who have had an accident within the last couple of weeks can be seen at the Neath Port Talbot Hospital Minor Injury Unit.
It is open between 7.30am and 11.00pm, seven days a week, at Neath Port Talbot Hospital, Baglan Way, Port Talbot, SA12 7BX. Contact number: 01639 862160
An experienced team of specially-trained emergency nurse practitioners, triage nurses and health care support workers treat patients for minor conditions including:
- cuts and minor burns
- sprains and strains
- broken bones
- dislocation of the shoulder, fingers and toes
- head and facial injuries with no loss of consciousness and the patient is not taking anticoagulant (blood thinner) medication.
- neck injuries, where you are mobile with no pins and needles in your arms
- back injuries where you are mobile and the pain has not occurred from you twisting your back or lifting something
- foreign bodies to eyes, ears and nose
- non-penetrating eye and ear injuries
- rib injuries where you are not coughing up blood and you don’t have a chest infection
- bites (insect, animal or human)
- insect stings
The team CANNOT TREAT:
- colds, coughs, sore throats, earache, rashes, temperatures
- urinary infections, cystitis or catheter problems
- dental problems
- accident with injury to abdomen/stomach
- chest pain
- breathing problems
- painful limbs, joints or backs
- skin complaints including boils and rashes
- wounds that have not been caused during an accident.